Intervention can remediate the condition on two levels.
Level 1 — Through an educational therapeutic process the concerned others can identify their misunderstandings of the disease process. They can then see it and their own behaviors for what they are and commit themselves to no longer protecting the addicted individuals from the consequences of his/her behavior.
Level 2 — The addicted person can be helped to see the love of those around his/her addictive behavior, and thus accept treatment as an appropriate solution.
This disease is successfully treatable with the concurrent approaches to:
- Attend to physical complications
- Reduce the symptoms of mental mismanagement
- Expunge the emotional distress
- Rebuild family communications
- Establish a workable spiritual connection