Family Program Essential Information
Thank you for choosing La Hacienda to begin your recovery. The following information will be useful in arranging for family week.
- Family program begins Monday at 12:00 PM and completes on Thursday at 1:00 PM.
- After signing in, family members are directed to the family building and then to the dining room to have lunch with the patient prior to orientation at 1:00 PM.
- There is a standard $25 meal fee per guest; which includes lunch and dinner for the week.
- The $25 meal fee is standard for any variation of the family program.
- Individual meal tickets are not offered during family program. (Sunday visitation only).
Families are expected to attend the entire program.
- Each day has its own value and importance. (Consistency is key).
- Any variation of attendance needs to go through the family program director.
- If unable to attend and you would like to show support for your loved one, visitation is held on Sundays from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- Participants must be 15 years of age or older to participate in the family program.
- Child care needs to be arranged prior to family week. La Hacienda does not provide child care.
Patients may invite 1-4 guests to participate in the family program.
- The case manager and the patient will explore options together to identify those who are essential to attend.
- Each guest is expected to participate in all groups and activities.
- The patients will communicate with staff if they plan on adding additional guests.
- We require patient consent for each person invited.
- If family program is not possible during the patient’s treatment stay, patients have up to a year to return and complete the family program on an outpatient basis. This will be after a 30 day post discharge waiting period. There is no additional fee for return participation.
No pets are allowed on campus.
Please call 1-800-749-6260 x300 for additional information.
In order to provide our family members with answers to most frequently asked questions, the family program staff has included the following.
What is Family Week?
Whenever appropriate, each patient is encouraged to have family members participate in this three-and-one-half day program which starts each Monday at 1 pm and ends Thursday at 1 pm. Family members are welcome to start arriving at noon and have lunch with the patients. Patients and family members will attend focus groups to gain insight about addiction and how it impacts the family unit. Our primary goal is to help each participant acquire knowledge about chemical dependency, to gain an understanding of how he/she has been personally affected by this disease, to improve communication skills, and to begin behavioral change. The educational/process group format provides information on:
- other drug addictions
- family dynamics
- relapse prevention & recovery enhancement skills
Who can attend Family Week?
- Immediate family
- Close friends in recovery
- Significant other relationships
We suggest no more than 1-3 family members in attendance. Children must be at least 15 years old to participate.
When is Family Week scheduled?
Family week takes place during the patient’s treatment stay and is scheduled at a time when therapeutically indicated for the patient. With a signed authorization from the patient in place, a staff member will call with your assigned family week date.
Can a family member participate part of the time?
We encourage participants to attend the entire family week—Monday through Thursday. Every day has its own value and experience that cannot be reproduced. For example, our doctors give a very enlightening lecture on Monday only, and each family’s recovery plan is developed on Thursday. We can explore the possibility of missing Thursday, but attending Monday through 4pm on Wednesday is crucial to the entire family’s recovery process.
What else can we expect during Family Week?
Patients may not receive passes on Monday or Tuesday evenings. However, passes for outings will be available on Wednesday evening only for those eligible.
For more detailed information, please download the Family Program Packet.
Is there anything we can do to prepare before attending Family Week?
We believe family members would benefit from attending an Al-Anon or other self-help group before attending family week. Our website offers information about La Hacienda support group locations in various locations throughout Texas.
May I bring my pet?
Pets are not allowed on campus and must not be left in vehicles anywhere on La Hacienda’s property. If you must bring a pet, please make boarding arrangements for pet care.
What if I can’t attend family week during the scheduled time?
All patients have the option of returning within one year to complete Family Week at no charge except for the $25 meal fee for each participant. Family members can always visit on Sundays to show their support and they may also be able to schedule a private session with their loved one and a weekend counselor.
Additionally, the case manager may facilitate conference calls with the patient and their family.
Download the Family Program Essential Information.