As professionals who treat substance use disorder will attest, there’s nothing more rewarding than hearing that someone they are working with is in recovery.
That’s why professionals and providers across the nation are joining to celebrate the 29th annual Recovery Month in September. “Join the Voices for Recovery: Invest in Health, Home, Purpose, and Community,” is this year’s theme.
Recovery Month highlights the achievements of individuals who have reclaimed their lives in long-term recovery.
It also promotes the message that recovery, in all of its forms, is possible and encourages citizens to take action to help expand and improve the availability of effective prevention, treatment, and recovery services.
Sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)– part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service–the observance explores how integrated care, a strong community, a sense of purpose and leadership contribute to effective treatments that sustain recovery.
La Hacienda will say more about these four points with articles on this blog in the weeks ahead.
Also, we encourage you to participate in events near you celebrating Recovery Month.
La Hacienda staff will be present at these events:
- Recovery in the Park in Fort Worth starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, September 15, at Trinity Park. Sponsored by Fort Worth Chapter of Texas Association of Addiction Professionals.
- Recovery advocate and former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf speaking at College Station on September 20. Sponsored by Rock Prairie Behavioral Health.
- Big Texas Rally for Recovery at La Villita in San Antonio starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, September 29. Includes parade on the river. Hosted by the San Antonio Council on Alcohol and Drug Awareness and with many sponsors.
- Recovery in the Park starting at 2 p.m. Saturday, October 20, in Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center, Austin. Produced by RecoveryATX.
Other celebrations scheduled around Texas include:
- Recovery Art Show on Saturday, September 8, 6 p.m. at 4110 Guadalupe St., Austin, sponsored by Communities for Recovery.
- Rebound—The Chris Herren Story, 1:30 p.m. Friday, September 14, at Tivy High School, Kerrville. Sponsored by the Lotus Recovery Foundation.
- Peer Recovery Festival, 10 a.m. Saturday, September 15, at 150 Heights Boulevard, Houston. Sponsored by Recovery Community Centers and Peer Support Workgroup for Houston.
- Panhandle Recovery Festival, 3 p.m. Saturday, September 15, at Memorial Park, Amarillo. Sponsored by Amarillo Recovery from Alcohol and Drugs.
- Recover One: Film Premiere & Celebration at 7 p.m. Tuesday, September 18, at 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 230, Dallas. Sponsored by Associations of Persons Affected by Addiction.
- Recovery Day in the Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, September 29, at 1117 S. Timberland, Lufkin. Sponsored by Lufkin/Nacogdoches Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care.