While we practice social distancing, many are stuck at home, cooking and eating while perusing social media. There’s time to do more in the kitchen than usual, so we asked our staff to share some of their favorite Quarantine Recipes. We will be posting them here in the coming weeks and hope they help fill both time and stomachs.
By Angela Adams, Human Resources Generalist
I discovered this recipe a few years ago when I was on my weight-loss journey and it has become a staple recipe in my house ever since. This is my healthy alternative to Taco Tuesday, especially during this time of quarantine.
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- ½ cup of quinoa, uncooked
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth (low sodium), separated
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2-3 large bell peppers, halved and seeded (yellow and red are my favorite!)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until fragrant (a couple of minutes).
- Add ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Break up the turkey using a spatula, allowing it to brown.
- Once turkey is brown, add uncooked quinoa, tomato sauce, 1 cup of chicken broth, and chopped cilantro. Stir well to combine then cover. Let simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, preheat over to 400 degrees F and slice the bell peppers in half. Remove the seeds and white membranes inside.
- Put bell peppers halves into an oven proof dish. Fill each half with as much turkey-quinoa filling as you can. Pour remaining ¼ cup of chicken broth into the baking dish and cover tightly with foil
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle each bell pepper with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.