Helping people achieve recovery from addiction and alcoholism is a team effort, and that is the focal point of the Recovery Month 2019 theme, “Join the Voices for Recovery: Together We Are Stronger.”
During September, La Hacienda and other treatment centers and professionals across the U.S. will be emphasizing the need to share resources and build networks to support recovery.
The national observance will also remind the public that mental and substance use disorders affect all of us and that we are all part of the solution.
More about how La Hacienda puts these elements into action will be shared through blog posts in the weeks ahead.
A New Logo for Recovery Month
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)– part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services annually sponsors Recovery Month.
In recognition of the 30th anniversary of the observance, SAMHSA is revamping the Recovery Month logo “to more effectively communicate the meaning and values of the observance.”
The new logo features an “r” symbol, “representing Recovery and the need to support the millions of individuals who are proudly living their lives in recovery.”
Celebrate Around the State
Your involvement is part of the team effort.
There will be numerous local events around the country during the month. You can search “Recovery Month 2019” on the Internet or watch for announcements in the news or through local providers’ social media or websites.
Recovery Month events scheduled for Texas include:
- Fort Worth TAAP Speaker Series, 2 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3 at UNT Addiction Studies, 410 Ave. C, Dentonwith Joe Powell,president, and chief executive officer of APAA, one of the founders of Recovery Month and the first Big Texas Rally;
- Houston Peer Recovery Festival, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7 at 170 Heights Blvd. Hosted by Recovery Community Centers & Peer Support Workgroup for Houston ROSC
- Fort Worth Recovery in the Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14 at Trinity Park. Sponsored by Fort Worth Chapter of Texas Association of Addiction Professionals.
- Big Texas Rally for Recovery, 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21 at Globe Life Park in Arlington, home of the Texas Rangers. . Hosted by the Association of Persons Affected by Addiction.
- Fort Worth Voices for Recovery Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 26 at Colonial Country Club. Hosted by Cenikor Foundation of Forth Worth.
- Austin Recovery in the Park, 3-7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28 at Oswaldo A. B. Cantu Pan American Recreation Center, Austin. Produced by RecoveryATX.